Connecting to the Virtual Desktop (PC - XP)
Accessing the Tool Box
Accessing the LinguisTech Virtual Desktop
- Open the Web browser of your choice (e.g. Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox ; if you cannot connect to the Virtual Desktop with Internet Explorer, we recommend that you use Firefox) by double-clicking on the desktop icon or by finding it in the Start menu.
- Go to the LinguisTech home page.
Click on the Language Technologies Tool Box section in the Get Going zone.
- In the Email field, enter your user name (the email address you provided when registering).
- Enter your password into the Password field, then hit Enter or click on Sign in.
- If you want the system to remember your sign-in information so that you do not have to enter it each time you access the Tool Box, check the box marked Remember me.
- You will be directed to the welcome page with a list of your desktops. Click on Connect to begin loading the LinguisTech virtual computer.
- A dialogue box will appear. Select the option Open and click on OK.
- If a security pop-up window opens, click on the box marked "Don’t ask me again for connections to this computer" and then click on Connect.
- The Downloads window will open. Double-click on the .rdp file.
- To avoid performing the preceding steps every time you connect to the Virutal Desktop, you can place a copy of the .rdp file on your Windows desktop. By double-clicking on this icon, you can skip right to step 1.7 of this guide without having to resubmit your information.
- The connection will begin.
- A dialogue box may open asking "The identity of the remote computer cannot be verified. Do you want to connect anyway?" If so, click on the box marked "Don’t ask me again for connections to this computer” and then click “Yes”.
- Click on your profile.
- Re-enter your password.
- You should now have LinguisTech properly installed and should be able to access it without any problems.If you still experience problems, contact our technical support team by email.
- Once the connection is established and the virtual computer is loaded, a desktop that looks like a new computer will appear on your screen. You will see a bar identifying it as the LinguisTech Virtual Desktop at the top of your screen (or wherever the gateway name may appear).To hide the bar, move it from left to right by clicking on the bar and dragging it. You can also hide it by clicking on the pin on the left side of the bar. To make it reappear, bring your mouse to the top of the screen and wait for it to appear. To keep it there, click on the pin again.On the right side of the bar, there are the usual Minimize, Maximize and Close buttons. To see your own computer desktop, click on Minimize. To see the virtual desktop in a smaller window, click on the Maximize button (centre). Please DO NOT click on the X in order to log off.
II. Logging Off
To disconnect from the Virtual Desktop, click on the Start button, and then on Log off.
III. Remote Access
Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) is a protocol developed by Microsoft that provides users with a graphics device interface to another computer. In other words, RDP protocol allows users to connect to a remote computer and use it as if it were directly in front of them.
last update December 13, 2011