Connecting to the Virtual Desktop (summary)
Before you start:
If you're using a Windows-based computer, you don't need to do anything else.
If you're using a Mac, you'll want to make sure you have a program that you can use to connect:
- Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection software is included with Microsoft Office. If you don't have Office, you can download it for free here: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/remote-desktop-client
- CoRD is a free, open source client that we recommend over Microsoft's client. It can be downloaded here: http://cord.sourceforge.net/
What you need to do each time you wish to use the Virtual Desktop:
- Open the Web browser of your choice.
- Go to the LinguisTech home page and log in by clicking the "Log In" button on the top right of the page. Enter your email address and password.
- Open the Get Going zone of the website and click on the Virtual Desktop button.
- You will be taken to the Portal website. If you're prompted to log in again, just reload the page by clicking the reload button in your web browser or pressing CTRL-R on your keyboard.
- Click on Connect.
- A window or bar for downloads will open depending on your web browser. Double-click on the .rdp file.
- Windows may pop up warning you that your computer can't verify the remote computer. This is normal, and you can safely tell it to proceed — you won't be able to connect to the Virtual Desktop otherwise!
- You will be prompted for your password one more time to connect to the desktop itself. Your username is already set — don't change it! If your password is rejected repeatedly, try resetting your password (by visiting here) before connecting again.
- That's it! You should now be on your way to connecting. Not everything will work perfectly on your first visit, so you may want to log off (click the Start Menu, then Log Off — don't click the X button to close the window) and log on again to fully initialize your profile.
To disconnect from the virtual desktop, click on the Start button, and then on Log off.
Updated April 16, 2013